Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Funeral

Nate finally told Treyton today that his crab died. There were tears...and sobs.  He was so upset, so Nate told him we could bury it out in the backyard. Treyton really wanted to take a picture of him, so I told him we could print it off and hold it while we buried him. Well, things kind of snowballed from there and we ended up with a complete funeral service for the crab.  Treyton loved it and Nate thought it was so ridiculous, but it definitely kept Treyton's mind off of the fact that his crab is actually dead!
The "program" and the mourner.

Up close. Treyton's prayer was pretty cute, asking that the crab would be safe and have fun in Heaven.  He also wanted to sing Hermy's favorite song, "Samuel the Lamanite".

Jayci helped "pour" the crab in the hole while Nate hummed "Taps". I started laughing but Treyton got a little upset, so we held it together for the rest of the funeral.   


RIP Hermy

4 comments:

melynda said...

oh how cute is he. what a great story you all will love when he is older!

Jenna said...

I think what I love most about this is that I can picture it perfectly. (Especially the parental laughing.) RIP Hermy, you had an awesome shell.

Larry and Janice said...

This is KILLIN' me!!! Nate humming Taps?! Program, Herme's favorite song?!! This is definitely a MUST KEEP story forever! Love your family!!

Jackie said...

You are great parents. For real.

I'll light a candle for dear Hermy.