1. Driving 7-8 hours ONE way with three little kids and my mom only to stay in a hotel for one night, tour a house the next day, and drive back home for 7-8 hours is definitely NOT a smart move. Especially when your mom got to your house the night before you were leaving, you can't leave until 2 in the afternoon, and she is leaving you to deal with the tired, sick kids the next morning because she is flying out.
2. Anyone who REALLY knows me knows I LOVE BBC and masterpiece movies. I believe I was born in the wrong century. I belong with the dresses and broody men from the 1800's. But yesterday I realized that I was also most definitely born into the wrong family.
All of this was discovered on our short, insane trip to The Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. After arriving at the hotel around 10 pm, we finally got settled in and into bed. Well, Treyton has bad allergies always and coughs a lot at night. He coughed for over two hours. Griffin has never really slept in the room with us and would NOT let me put him down without screaming bloody murder, but refused to go to sleep while rocking him. Jayci wouldn't stop rolling about in the bed to the point where I went over and sat on her legs because she was driving me crazy. So, about an hour later, I took Treyton and Griffin out to the car to drive in circles around the mall to get them to fall asleep. After about a half an hour I got them both asleep. I was exhausted. After a short stint of trying to sleep in the car myself, I decided to risk moving them inside. Treyton fell right back asleep and griff slept for about 3 or 4 hours in his carseat...the little bugger. Anyways, it was horrible. I was SO tired.


After I toured the house and it was my mom's turn, I took the kids in for a bit to show them a couple of things on the main floor. The nice thing about the tour is it is self-guided. You can take as long as you would like or go as fast as you want. You can go out, come back in, and just wander around. Treyton and Jayci both loved seeing it decorated for Christmas. But their favorite part was the HUGE lawn and fountain out front.

Thanks, Mom, for taking us. Sure, it was insane and tiring and frustrating, but when are we ever going to get down there again?!
7 comments:
That is SO CRAZY! The trip AND that you were born into the wrong family and in the wrong time period. Hahaha! You make me laugh. Your family really is great and I am sure you can wear crazy, long, hot, tight (on top) dresses if you want to. The Biltmore looks amazing. I don't know what you think you need 43 bathrooms for. but I guess that would be cool as long as you could afford a housekeeper to take care of it all. Count me out on that one! I seem to have issues keeping up with 1000 square feet of cleaning. I hope you have all recovered! Love ya!
Thank YOU, Mandy - I'm thinking if you couldn't be born into the Vanderbilt family, next best thing at the very least is to be a Woodruff! What other crazy mom would even SUGGEST making that trip so you could see how the elite lived??!!!
I SO want to go to Biltmore. I just read an article about Frederick Law Olmsted's garden design and I would love to read it. And I do totally think you are crazy for driving all the way down there with the kids. You are so brave! I too belong with Austenian dresses (so figure flattering) and broody men are my cup of tea. Lately I have been wanting to go to London. So after Nate and Joe start working (for actual money) we should all go there. I am already checking the calendar...so start planning.
I SO want to go to Biltmore. I just read an article about Frederick Law Olmsted's garden design and I would love to read it. And I do totally think you are crazy for driving all the way down there with the kids. You are so brave! I too belong with Austenian dresses (so figure flattering) and broody men are my cup of tea. Lately I have been wanting to go to London. So after Nate and Joe start working (for actual money) we should all go there. I am already checking the calendar...so start planning.
Wow- sounds like a nightmare beginning but what a house! I totally would love to see it- although I think 8 hrs might be a bit much. Sorry that part was so tough!
hopefully years from now you'll only remember how beautiful the house was and not what a hassle it was to see it :) good for you for being so adventurous- and now nick can't say no to me wanting to go.
Wow, what a trip! Glad you survived and had fun doing it! ;) That house is amazing!
Post a Comment