Thursday, December 16, 2010

Alyson and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Since this blog is also like our family journal, I thought I would share this post...even if it isn't your typical "this is what fun our family always has" kind of post.

It all started with the snow this past Monday. Not much at all, but Nate's flight to his interview in Kentucky was canceled. He ended up having to rent a car (since our green one would definitely not make it) and drive the 8+ hours in the snow to get there. Not a great start to the day.

During the day at home, Griffin kept getting really warm. Then, he proceeded to vomit all over in his crib during his nap time. Which I didn't notice until I went to go grab him AFTER his nap and it was dried and matted all over him, his hair, and his bedding. Yum. So I took his temperature and it was a nice warm 102. All day I had to alternate between Ibuprofen and Tylenol to keep his temp in check. Plus he is still on an antibiotic for his ears which gives him a nice, red, diaper rash. Poor kid. Anyways, so this whole naptime-throwing up routine was repeated at his second nap of the day. This alone was enough to make the day bad...especially knowing there was no relief in sight with Nate gone until late the following night.

Now here comes the worst part and the part I have yet to mention: I started getting really bad cramps and bleeding. We hadn't told anyone but I was six weeks pregnant. We had been hoping for a couple of months and I had just found out two weeks earlier. I was pretty excited. But, as the night went on, the cramping kept getting worse and worse. During all of this, I still have to feed the kids, get them ready for bed, take care of my sick Griffin, etc. It SUCKED. Treyton even made me a "get well card" up in bed because he knew I was kind of off.

Well, between the labor-like cramping of my third miscarriage, plus the temperature checking of Griffin, calling his pediatrician at 3 am with a 103.7 temperature, and dosing his meds out, I barely got an hours worth of sleep; only to have to wake up early and get Treyton ready and out the door for school, take Jayci to her last dance class, make it over to my doctor's, and get ready for Treyton's winter party at school, which has now been canceled. This week has been awful!

But, on a bright note, Griffin had his tubes put in this morning. The surgery was short, sweet, and he should be feeling better in no time. We are so excited to get him healthy again. It has been WAY too long.

So, if I have been MIA this week, not answering calls or emails, or hermiting it up at home, now you know why. Although I do have to say, I am on my way to feeling better. I know it will happen when it is supposed to happen (although that doesn't really make any of it easier). So no need to worry or anything. I just hope the recovery this time is easier than the last!

And thanks to those of you who did know what was going on and helped me out while Nate was gone with watching my kids, dinner, prayers, thoughts, calls, etc.

14 comments:

Maddy said...

Oh, Alyson, I'm sorry! I wish I could have done something to help your day out a little bit. Let me know if you ever need anything!

The Sherman's said...

Alyson, I am so sorry! You definitely deserve to complain! Alisha told me school was canceled and no parties, and I immediately thought of you and knew you would have already done a ton of work and cute things for Trayton's party. Such a bummer. I hope things get better soon and you recover quickly (and Griffin too). Good luck!

Joyelle said...

love ya girl. **hugs** so sorry. wish i was close to help you. even in the chaos, He is in charge, thankfully. warmest thoughts your way, friend xo

LauriAnn said...

Oh, wow. That is so sad. What a tough thing to go through, especially this time of year when so much is going on. I hope things go better than last time, and that you recover fast. What a relief to have Griffey better though! I wish I lived close because I would bring cookie dough over and we would watch Gilmore Girls all night (or until 11 which is all night for me now). You are such a great mom, I honestly live in awe every time I see one of your blog posts and see how creative you are and all the fun things you do for your kids and family. Love you and your fam. Enjoy the holidays. P.S. got your card today and it was cute!

Jackie said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry. I hope you heal quickly and we hope the next Sharp baby is able to come very soon.

We're sending some prayers your way!

Jenna said...

alyson! oh man. when it rains, it pours right? hope everything gets resolved speedily and everyone is back to good health. i hope santa is extra sweet to you this year- you deserve it. we'll keep you in our prayers...

Linda said...

We love you!

melynda said...

oh my gosh alyson!! i hope you are doing better. i am so sorry this has happened to you. i didn't even know you were trying. we need to talk more!! i hope griff is feeling better too. that poor bubba. i wish i could be there to help, i miss you guys. tell the family hi, i got your card, it was SO cute. love ya.

Hksedwick said...

I am so sorry. I think that day deserved a good cussing! I can't believe you still had us over after all of that, but I am glad we got to hang out.

I do hope your recovery is much quicker. I will keep you in my prayers.

Hopefully your Christmas break will be great!

Cam and Josie said...

So sorry to hear about your rough couple of days : ( I hope things get better for you. It is amazing what we go through as moms, and how we can find the strength to do it all--even when we feel horrible! Hope you and your little family have a Merry Christmas!

Sara said...

Saying "I'm sorry" sounds pretty lame with everything you have been going through... but I'm gonna say it anyway! I am SO SORRY!!!! But am glad things are looking better...they can only go uphill form here right?:) p.s. you are thee last person to ever complain so good for you to get it off your chest!:) We love you!!!!

Chelsey said...

Oh miscarriages are the worst...and even more so since you couldn't have some alone time to deal. I hope you and your kids are feeling better! Let us know if you need anything. Really, we would LOVE for you to call and ask us to help you out at anytime. I hope Nate's interviews are almost over so things can get back to normal. Tim only has one left. Yay!

Marci*Jake said...

Oh Alyson, I really am so sorry! that is so hard, you deserve to complain. Let me know if I can do anything!

Rucker Family said...

That is a horrible day! I'm so sorry! Hope you are doing better now...and Griffin too! You are seriously a super mama being able to handle all that!