Sunday, March 29, 2009

I am SLOW

Todd and Heather came and stayed with us this past weekend. It was really fun to see them since we haven't for a while. My kids loved it.
We also had the Richmond 10K yesterday. It is HUGE. There are thousands of runners and it is insanely busy. I, along with a bunch of girls from the ward and Heather and Todd, ran it. I did not train except maybe running a mile a couple of times. I just thought we would kind of take it easy and jog/walk. Not so, my friend. The four other girls I was running with left me after the first mile! Yes, I AM THAT SLOW! However, it was actually kind of nice. I jogged at my own pace without feeling like I had to keep up. I actually jogged for most of it, despite my body screaming at me to stop. The most embarrassing part was when WALKERS were passing me while I was jogging! And this super old man passed me too. I am pretty sure I did not pass one single person while literally thousands passed me. That's okay. I still did it and maybe, just maybe, next year I will train (although I said that last year too!). Enjoy some post race pictures of us. Nate waited for about two hours total in the sprinkling cold with the kids. What a great husband!
I have come to terms with it though: I am just not a long-distance runner. Even in high school when I was actually in shape, I DREADED running only 1.5 miles for softball tryouts. I hated it then and still do now! More pictures to come of Todd and Heather with my kids before church. They all look so cute!

14 comments:

Hksedwick said...

You are so funny Alyson. At least you finished it!!

Chelsey said...

Good job! That's a l-o-n-g run. Way to go!

LauriAnn said...

Hooray! You did it. I am one of those people that gets passed the entire race, and I know most people walk faster than I "run" too. But you did it, and that's all that matters. I love that post race feeling!

Jessie Lewis said...

I hear ya; running just isn't that fun. We have Pat's Run next month, so I've been trying to run a few times a week. It's only a 5K, but the thought of running more than 2 miles isn't pleasant. Remember our early morning runs at SVU? Uck.

Luke and Niki said...

Hey good for you!! That is awesome! I ran a 5k last November and about died...so please dont feel bad. I think you and I are on the same pace...if you ever need a running buddy for a race let me know!

Although we will have none of this old men passing us business...haha JK TOO funny!

Luke and Niki said...

PS You are a little slow in more than one way...LOL JK

Angie said...

I can pretty much guarantee that you would have passed me.

Alicia said...

Hey! This is Alicia Hinrichs...thanks for letting me borrow your thread and I can't wait for our little American Idol party tomorrow night! Our blog is wadeandalicia.blogspot.com

Kim said...

You finished, right?! That's all that matters. :)

Ryan and Jess said...

I am the exact same way! I HATE running distance. I DREADED sring training for basketball every year. I loved sprinting, but not distance. That's so awesome that you do it even when you hate it so much. Good for you!

Christen said...

Whatever Alyson, you rocked it! :)
But, I did love your commentary. Too funny!

Linda said...

You go girl. Congratulations!!

Maddy said...

what are yall up to this weekend? ... and the weekend after that actually! this weekend, we're just open to hang out and the weekend after that we're having an easter egg hunt with a bunch of people and want you to come! Let me know! madiola44@gmail.com

Heather said...

I love that first pic of me and Trey. It turned out very cute! Did you get an email yet from the race people saying your time and stuff? I don't think we have, so I was just wondering.