Monday, September 20, 2010

Empire State of Mind

This post has been a long time coming (mom...). Alright, so over Labor Day weekend, I got to run off to NYC with six other girls; husband and kid free! It was honestly the most fun I have had in such a long time!!! Even the car trip was a blast. We talked tons, told lots of funny and sad stories, and belted out music at the top of our lungs, walked around the city, navigated the subways, ate great food, saw the sights, shopped lots, and acted like we were back in junior high. It was fantastic!

Photobucket

We went to a show our first day there. We got a killer deal to go see Mary Poppins. They did such a great job with it. The dancing and music was so much fun!
Photobucket

Before the show, Heather showed us a great pizza place. So we each got some to go and went to the bleachers in Time Square to eat and people watch.


On the way home, Kim got a little mixed up on which gas station we were supposed to get off at (which I don't blame her at all since it was crazy late and there were two identical gas stations along the way). Well, some of the girls were a little bit nervous (to put it nicely) that we were walking on unlit streets with a man following us. So we ended up squealing and running. Yes, it was hilarious.

We ate at this amazing cafe that was in the movie You've Got Mail...which Heather has memorized! She had been here before and highly recommended it, so we thought we would see what all of the fuss was about. It did not disappoint. The atmosphere was awesome, the dinner amazing and fresh (minus the huge, sugary waffles that Sara and Jessica got!), and the dessert was fabulous. SO much fun that we spent a couple of hours here.
Photobucket

We talked about all kinds of random things, including a heated argument on the subway about which princess we would be. It got pretty intense. Some people wanted to be ones that they CLEARLY were not, while others refused to be ones that they so obviously were! ( I mean, come on, Britt, you are SO Snow-freaking-White!)
Photobucket


Times Square at night. It was insanely packed. We seriously had to shuffle along.
Photobucket

We are bonded for life after this trip. So many fun and funny memories, including giving each other nicknames (yes, we are lame!): Ice Queen, Bibs, Safety, Anna, Pumpage, Flow, and Sunoco.
Photobucket

We went to church in Manhattan. It was weird to ride the subway to church, was really fun. The church is close to Central Park, so we headed out over there for a picnic afterward. The weather was absolutely gorgeous.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Thanks to Heather, her 3-D map, and Rich's iphone, we had navigating the city down by the end. The first part of the trip was a little harder, but Heather got us through.

We were all a little sad to see it end, but excited to get back home, too. I sure do miss these girls already! Can't wait till we do it again in five more years.

9 comments:

Dane and Jessica said...

It almost makes me want to cry that all the fun is over!!! What a blast!!

LauriAnn said...

Fun trip! I am so jealous, I miss girl road trips!

Mandi said...

SO SO SO awesome! It looks and sounds like a fabulous trip. I am glad you were able to do something like that. Amazing! It inspires me...I think I need a girl road trip...

Dallings said...

Great post, it took me back. I am looking forward to our next one!

The Miles Family said...

Man..i gotta blog this trip! I've have to say, you were such a trooper this trip pumpage! That trip was a highlight of my life..seriously! :)

Sara said...

ah I wanna go back!!! these posts are just so hard to read without feeling nostalgic!:) I like the way you journaled the post beter and wish i would have waited and just copied yours! Such a fun trip...i need to get our c d made so we can go cruisin'!

Jackie said...

This looks like such a blast! You crazy girls know how to have fun. :)

Larry and Janice said...

Great blog, Alyson! What a fun trip - definitely sounded like junior high again! I totally guessed you were Pumpage - - just can't figure out from the picture which Princess you are. You lucky girls to have that awesome trip!

Rucker Family said...

How fun! You girls are crazy! Miss you all! Count me in on the next trip and we'll get Christen to come too! :)