Saturday, September 25, 2010

When He Grows Up

I know a lot of you know already, but for those of you who don't, Nate has finally decided on what he is going to do...Anesthesiology! Right now, he is thinking he would like to do a fellowship after his residency in Pediatric Anesthesia, since he LOVED working with kids. He had it narrowed down to OB/GYN or Anesthesia. After weighing all of the pros and cons, Nate decided he wanted to have the control to "turn off" his patients whenever he didn't want to hear them talk anymore instead of having to listen to neurotic pregnant women! Good choice, hon. But seriously, we are really excited. It has great hours, great pay, and he gets to work with his hands a ton without doing any clinics. If he had his choice of anything, it would have been surgery. He was SO great at it and all of his attendings this past year were always telling him that he was a natural and better than the residents. Lucky for me, though, I have a husband who wanted to be around his family more than an hour a week.
So anesthesia it is. Nate is just finishing up his first anesthesia elective right now and really enjoyed it. He placed tons of IV's, intubated lots of patients, managed airways, and still managed to be home before noon on most days! It was fabulous. Next step is just waiting to hear back from residencies we applied to. Nate does have one interview scheduled for University of Florida at the beginning of December, so we are pretty excited about that. By mid-March, we will finally know where we are going and move at the end of May. It's going to fly by!

8 comments:

The Sherman's said...

I've been wondering, so thanks for sharing the news. That's awesome. Can't wait to hear where you'll end up come May...

melynda said...

dont you love growing up? good choice.

Larry and Janice said...

Congratulations, Nate! We love a choice that lets the family have a real dad too!! Just wondering - not wanting to listen to "neurotic pregnant women" have anything to do with home experiences these past 6 years? ;) I'm sure not! Love you!

Katie said...

That's awesome. Congrats you guys.

Jenna said...

yeah for husbands not choosing surgery! his schedule sounded awesome and hopefully it will be just that great once he is practicing!

Mandi said...

HOORAY!! Congratulations. We are so excited for you and can't wait to hear where you will be going. Great choice!

Kierra said...

Wow! You guys are so far along and so close! Congrats to you both on his decision and I think that is awesome that he is doing anesthesiology. Right now, (in like 50 years when we actually get there!) Rob wants to do surgery, and I am kind of scared for the fact I'll never see him. I'm kind of hoping that since there's so much time, he'll change his mind before we get there too! Anyway, congrats again, so exciting!

Chelsey said...

Yay for an official and final decision! :)