I have started reading Wild Swans this past week. It is a book about three generations of women in China starting in the early 1900's. It is a true story and is told by the third generation who ended up living in London. It is SO fascinating. I don't know much about Chinese recent (or ancient) history since my college never offered courses in it, but I have always been interested because of my brothers (who all know a ton about it and all speak Chinese). Anyways, I am about half way through and I am hooked. It is so fascinating to learn about all of the nuances of the Communist regime. You know, with what the other options were at the time, I am convinced I would have joined the Party. I know I would have lost faith in it, but at the beginning it is so obvious how it came into power. It's just crazy all of the policies and control it has over every single aspect of life, like: no cooking at home, spouses only allowed to spend the night together on Saturday nights, etc. I love it so far and can't wait to see what path the youngest (who is now 4 where I am in the book) chooses. Anyways, I just thought I would give my recommendation to anyone who is looking. It isn't necessarily an easy book, it's pretty long, but it isn't difficult. So there ya go!
Monday, December 15, 2008
Wild Swans
I have started reading Wild Swans this past week. It is a book about three generations of women in China starting in the early 1900's. It is a true story and is told by the third generation who ended up living in London. It is SO fascinating. I don't know much about Chinese recent (or ancient) history since my college never offered courses in it, but I have always been interested because of my brothers (who all know a ton about it and all speak Chinese). Anyways, I am about half way through and I am hooked. It is so fascinating to learn about all of the nuances of the Communist regime. You know, with what the other options were at the time, I am convinced I would have joined the Party. I know I would have lost faith in it, but at the beginning it is so obvious how it came into power. It's just crazy all of the policies and control it has over every single aspect of life, like: no cooking at home, spouses only allowed to spend the night together on Saturday nights, etc. I love it so far and can't wait to see what path the youngest (who is now 4 where I am in the book) chooses. Anyways, I just thought I would give my recommendation to anyone who is looking. It isn't necessarily an easy book, it's pretty long, but it isn't difficult. So there ya go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm always looking for a good book to read. Thanks!!
Sounds like a good book. I wish people could learn from history though. WE shall see how things fall out here in the US!
is it kind of like "the joy luck club"? cause I loved that book.
Hey. I guess I need to get reading! If Joe is around I tend to slack off. It sounds really good though! And, YES you can still come and visit! It would be so fun!
Post a Comment