Friday, October 30, 2009
Med School Update
Now that Nate is in his third year, he has been doing his rotations. So far, he has had Internal Medicine for three months, where the first month he worked with a Geriatrician (great hours, but has still totally ruled it out!), then at the VA Hospital, (one long long night a week), and then at the new Critical Care Hospital downtown (same thing with long hours). He got to see some interesting things, but realized he is not into long-term, chronic care. You see the same people for the same thing regularly, and its just not diverse enough. This past week, he started his OB/GYN rotation that he has been pretty excited about. He started with Labor and Delivery and will be on that for two weeks. Today marks the end of his first official week. He has gotten to see quite a few births, which has been pretty cool because he has never gotten the chance to see any of ours. They always made him stand behind the curtain. He is now trying to convince me to let him cut or sew or something in December. I still need a little convincing. Today he was able to deliver his first baby, assist in a C-section, and delivered some placentas. He is pretty excited about it. Even though there has already been a really traumatic story or two, he is loving it so far. I, however, am hating these hours! He leaves between 5-6 in the morning and gets home around 6:30 or 7 pm. So the kids get to see him for maybe a half an hour. And next week is going to suck even more. He is on night float the whole week and will be working from 6 pm until 7 am, then comes home and sleeps until it is time to get ready for his next shift. Good luck trying to sleep in this house! Anyways, I am glad he likes it and is learning a lot. His attendings, residents, and interns all seem to really like him (how could you not?) and now he is actually for the first time more sympathetic and intersted in my pregnancy pains! Oh, and he PASSED his internal medicine Shelf Exam.....YEA!!!!! (They are crazy intense and he has one after each rotation).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
hanks for sharing the update, Alyson. I am sure the hours are hard on the family, but you are a rockstar and I know you can do it! :) As for letting him cut, sew, whatever on you...I bet it is a little different when it is one's OWN wife! I would need convincing if i were you too. Good luck with the hours. I am glad he is enjoying this rotation.
Great update about Nate! Congrats, Nate, on passing your exam!!! What an adventure med school is!!! You both are doing a great job managing!
Well now he can send you texts like "I'm up to my armpits in placenta" :)
Good job Nate! Not looking forward to next year...
Hey Alyson! Now Nate can deliver your next baby!!
wow..med school sounds hard and not fun at all. but sounds like you are handling it amazingly. :)
wow...med school sounds like a piece of cake and super fun!!! And let him cut!!! At least you won't sue!!!
To Nate: don't do OB/GYN!!!!
Thanks for the update, Alyson. It's been nice the past couple of weeks to actually talk to Nate. I don't know how he managed the time, but I've really appreciated it. Congratulations on passing your exam Nate. Love ya all tons.
Post a Comment